Welcome to the University of Sioux Falls Honors Program! We are glad to invite you to join us as we celebrate scholarship, ideas, culture and service as the centerpieces of our Honors community and our life together at the University. With exciting opportunities to learn and grow together, our community of Honors students engages the work of serving and leading across campus, in all the areas and activities USF has to offer. Start your application here.
- + Mission Statement
- The USF Honors Program strives to encourage exceptional students to explore widely, to think creatively and critically, to study earnestly, to live enthusiastically, to serve sincerely—to engage wholeheartedly and with integrity the world of ideas, scholarship, culture and service. In so doing, the USF Honors Program seeks to further enhance the culture of scholarship and service at the University.
- + Opportunities for Honors Students
- Competitive grants for study-abroad and research travel
- Honors designation upon graduation
- Honors designation on USF transcript
- Social, cultural and academic activities
- Preferred registration status
- + Honors Coursework
LAR 211/212, University Honors Core
The University Honors Core is an integrated, interdisciplinary approach to the liberal arts core. In a 10-credit, year-long sequence, Honors students will receive credit for 5 courses out of the liberal arts core that total 17 credits. The University Honors Core courses are team taught by full-time faculty who are committed to the vigorous inquiry and exploration of the liberal arts and of the USF Honors Program.
Honors Coursework in the Major
All Honors students will have the opportunity to take honors-level coursework in their major fields of study, as laid out by the department or as coordinated individually with faculty mentors.
University Honors Seminar
The capstone seminar for the USF Honors Program draws upon the liberal arts tradition and the focused training within students’ majors in order to explore a question, problem or concern in our contemporary world. Students will have the opportunities to guide the responses to the wide-ranging topics through their research, leadership and discussion. The University Honors Seminar is team taught by full-time faculty.
University Honors Thesis
At the conclusion of their academic careers at USF, Honors students will have opportunities to engage in research within their fields of study, mentored individually by faculty members. This research serves as the culmination of students’ academic pursuits at USF and as a means to demonstrate achievement in their academic and professional lives beyond USF.
- + USF Honors Program Admission
- 27 ACT (preferred)
- 3.2 GPA (preferred)
- Admission to the University of Sioux Falls
If your ACT and/or GPA do not meet the preferred minimums yet you are willing to challenge yourself with the goals of the USF Honors Program, we invite you to apply and to explain in your Application Letter how you will embrace the challenges and opportunities of the program.
In order to complete your application for the USF Honors Program, please submit the following to the USF Admissions Office or email materials to email@example.com:
Address a letter to the Honors Committee, outlining your qualifications, strengths and potential contributions to the USF Honors Program as well as your understanding of what it means to be part of the Honors community at a Christian liberal arts university.
Write an essay (750 words maximum) addressing the following: St. Augustine said, “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” What pages of travel would you like to read, and what do you anticipate will be the significance of those pages in your life?
Please complete the honors application form with names and contact information for two references who are not members of your family. These references should be able to speak to your intention and ability to be part of an academic community.
- + Transfer Students
- If you are a transfer student interested in the USF Honors Program, please contact us for more information and how to apply throughout the year.
Dr. Jenny Bangsund
Honors Program Director
Phone: 800-888-1047 or 605-331-6600