Do you have a creative calling? We’ve got the program for you in our thriving fine arts department that caters to our students’ talents. Visionary leadership has led to significant growth and new possibilities in the fine arts, including the following, just to name a few:
- Singing and touring with one of the USF choirs
- Participating in theatre productions
- Displaying artwork at area exhibits
- Being part of the campus television and radio stations
- Joining the staff of the USF newspaper, The Vessel
- Playing an instrument and touring in music ensembles
- Traveling with the art department on a European art tour
- Taking part in the Madrigal Dinners, a Renaissance-themed USF tradition
Music Majors and Minor
Our course of study for a bachelor’s degree or minor in music or a degree in music education promotes the skill and artistic growth utilized in performance-oriented careers and in the fields of music education, church music and more.
Our alumni are highly respected and valued in K-12 education and professional performance—one of our graduates sings with the Metropolitan Opera. The demand by area superintendents and principals for our music education graduates has allowed for a 100 percent placement rate for music education.
Communication Studies and Theatre Majors and Minors
The University of Sioux Falls offers a comprehensive liberal arts program in Communication Studies and Theatre (CST) designed to meet the needs of students who desire (1) to improve basic communication and theatre skills; (2) to participate in dramatic presentations and intramural speech communication activities; (3) to teach communication studies and theatre in elementary and secondary schools; and (4) to prepare for graduate work or professional careers.
Degrees offered include the following:
- Communication Studies and Theatre Major (B.A.)
- Communication Studies and Theatre Teaching Major (B.A.)
- Communication Studies and Theatre Minor Religious Theatre Major (A.A.)
- Language Arts Teaching Major (B.A.)
Although the study of CST is offered as an academic pursuit, much real education is USF’s extra-curricular program, including main-stage productions, children’s theatre, experimental theatre, liturgical theatre, student-directed shows and original scripts. One way in which the curriculum is supplemented is through the speech communication practicum.
Art Majors and Minor
A degree in art is designed to prepare students to seek further study or employment in a variety of careers which involve visual expression and creative synthesis. Those who are seeking a career in art are offered specific preparation in graphic design, computer imaging, photography and studio careers in drawing and painting. A degree in art education prepares students to teach at the K-12 level.